Giomici Castle is a medieval fortress dating back to the 11th century. It was built to defend the Chiascio Valley from attacks by Gubbio’s historic enemies, namely those from the cities of Perugia and Assisi. There are two well-kept medieval towers, a few houses and a little church dating back to 1154. In the church you will find several frescoes from the 1200-1600 period, some of which were painted by Matteo da Gualdo. It also has a beautiful wooden ceiling and behind the altar there is a frame created in the Della Robbia style.
The first written document that refers to Giomici Castle dates back to 1160 and consists of an official stamp from the famous Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, appointing the castle of “Giomisco” to Assisi’s lordship and then entrusted it three years later to the lords of Gubbio. During the Middle Ages, Giomici Castle was involved in scenes of battles between Gubbio, Perugia and Assisi.
The castle has seen several famous people, such as Petruccio de Ciuccio de Villamaina, who, in the 14th century, fell from the tower while it was under enemy attack. Later in the 19th century, the bandit Cinicchia hid and sheltered in the cellars of the castle; Cinicchia became known as the “Robin Hood of Umbria”, because he stole from the rich and gave to the poor.
Giomici Castle was passed into the hands of the Vagni family in 1650, who still own it today. They have carefully restored the castle and the nearby farm buildings, ensuring to preserve their historical and architectural features. Thanks to the Vagni, the Petruccio de Ciuccio tower was restored in 1944, along with the church, the palace and the walls surrounding the tower.